Saturday, February 19, 2011

The last days of Redback


I'm not usually a fan of the 'wheat beer' style, but the crafty lads from Matilda Bay seem to have  found the knack of maximising flavour while almost entirely eliminating the cloudiness that usually deters me from drinking these beers: Redback is one of my favourite imported beers here in Beijing, possibly the favourite.

I don't indulge very often, because at 30 kuai (or more) for a small bottle, it's straying into that price resistance territory I  griped about the other day.  However, it is one of the only beers that seems to me to justify that level of expenditure.  Sam Adams and Brooklyn Lager and Coopers and Sol and the rest are only worth 25 kuai.  VB ain't really worth more than 20.  (I'm talking about value as an experience for the drinker here; I don't give a damn how much they're costing the bar owner.)  But Redback..... it is, I think, worth dropping three tens for - every once in a while.


So, we must make the most of it while we may in Beijing.  I hear its distributor is dropping the product from its catalogue.  Not sure if the problem is at the Oz end or the China end or what; I suspect it's just that the distributor feels that it's not selling enough to be worth his trouble.  That's very sad.

Stephen down at MaoMaoChong tells me they have one case left, and after that - there'll be no more.


Unfortunately, I won't be around to help them finish it off, since I'm away on a long overdue holiday.  I enjoyed my farewell Redbacks a couple of nights ago.

Stop me - I'm tearing up.....


No comments: