Tuesday, May 31, 2011

OH....MY... GOD!!!!!!

I have just discovered that.... Cowboy Junkies are to be playing in Beijing this Sunday.


I haven't heard them play live in over 10 years, but they are one of my favourite bands (and I swoon for Margo), and.... I might have MISSED them!!

This event - the Kama Love Festival - seems to have received almost ZERO publicity, at least in the Anglosphere (no mention of it yet on the usual go-to music sites Beijing Gig Guide and Beijing Daze?!). I happened to hear of it just a few days ago from one of my Chinese students - but there was no suggestion of it being primarily a music festival, much less that there would be any foreign bands taking part. (Such a notion seemed pretty unlikely, after the months of paranoid public order 'crackdown' we've suffered here, and after the banishing of the MIDI Festival to a remote out-of-town location during the recent May holiday. And over the weekend of the 6/4 anniversary as well??!!  Surely not!!!!) And then.... this evening, a single - rather small and undistinguished - flyer somehow wafted into my favourite little bar: entirely in Chinese, but for the names of a few foreign performers... including the Junkies!  You could have knocked me down with a feather!!!  I'm off to buy tickets first thing tomorrow morning.


No comments: