Friday, July 08, 2011

HBH 241

How easy it is
To abstain from alcohol!
When ill, how easy!


I haven't had a drink since the start of the week. And I haven't missed it.

I've got such a nasty, persistent, convulsive dose of gut-rot at the moment that I have absolutely no appetite at all for either food or beverages. I forced myself to go out of the house for a friend's leaving party a couple of nights ago, and found even the idea of looking at a menu rather discomfiting - so I didn't. (It was a mistake to have gone at all, really. I was almost catatonic with fever and exhaustion, and very dull company.)

I am mildly disturbed by the reflection that I very seldom go more than a day or two without a drink, unless I am attempting one of my occasional ascetic challenges of doing without alcohol for a whole 2 or 4 weeks - and I haven't done that for quite a while. I should perhaps try to get my drinking down to 2 or 3 nights a week, rather than 5 or 6 (or, ahem, 7). All I have to do is remember how ILL I'm feeling right now, and it shouldn't be a problem at all.

No comments: