Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Named (er, numbered) and shamed

My most recent encounter with the worrying phenomenon of arsey cab drivers came on Monday night, when I was trying to help my buddy The Chairman to flag one down, after a modest mid-evening session in 12 Square Metres.

Now, I sympathise with the hard lot of our capital's cab drivers, I really do. And if they decline a ride because they want to go home or take a break, I'm perfectly mellow about that. If they want to try and negotiate an off-meter fare, because demand is momentarily high and they find themselves in a position of economic advantage - well, it's hard to begrudge them a slightly better living; I'll certainly entertain the possibility of paying a bit extra in those circumstances.



But when the guy initially stops for you, but then starts muttering and swearing as soon as he realises you're not a local.... and starts trying to drive away with you sat half in the car, with the door open... and makes no excuses for his unwillingness to work, but simply grunts over and over again that he doesn't want to take you... but then stops to pick up a trio of Chinese twenty-somethings just a few yards further down the road...

... well then, I can only conclude, Taxi Driver No. 219672, that you are a xenophobic shitbag.


No comments: