Tuesday, July 19, 2011

That shouldn't happen...

Just lately, I had allowed myself to start getting foolishly excited about the apparent availability of imported foreign spirits more or less in my 'hood at last.  Xiao Shuai's little El Nido spin-off bottle shop down on Fangjia Hutong, and the would-be "French" deli just around the corner, by the Yonghegong Villas, both seemed promising outlets.

Except that... Xiao Shuai's stock includes some decent wines, and an intriguing range of liqueurs and fortified wines... but no whiskies. Not one. Disappointing.

And the bottle of "Famous Grouse" I tried from the deli last week turned out to be egregiously FAKE.

I mean, look at this. I tried cutting it with mineral water, regular water, soda water, and lemonade. All produced this same, disturbing effect: the colour separated, with the brown component hovering in the upper half of the glass.  (I wonder what on earth they're using for a colouring agent in this? Usually it's something like caramel, which is quite heavy, and sinks. This is very, very worrying. I probably shouldn't have drunk it......)


No comments: