Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas comes early

My friend DD threw her annual kids' Christmas Party for friends of her little boy this weekend. I am a soppy fool around young children, and the afternoon did much to revive spirits which had been flagging badly for a week or more. Also, I was grateful this year to be excused playing Santa, as I've been called on to do once or twice before. That's fun up to a point, but it is a lot of additional responsibility and stress that I didn't fancy trying to deal with this year.

Then MB and LJ, the new folks in charge down at my favourite bar, threw a freebie lock-in party for a small group of friends and regulars last night. That was great fun - and dangerously alcoholic.



Unfortunately... we may have peaked too early.

There's now nothing on the social calendar for the next 12 days. The infamous Big Frank has cancelled a plan to pop over from Korea. The Chairman is heading off down to south China to visit his elder brother. The Choirboy has returned to the bosom of his family for the holidays - lucky, lucky bastard! Ditto The Weeble, The Man In Black. The city has emptied out. And there's absolutely bugger-all to do.

Christmas is a bit of a non-event around here.

But I have one of the shittiest colds in recent memory, so I'm not likely to be able to go out anywhere for a while anyway.  Grump, grump, grump.

No comments: