Friday, June 15, 2012

A radical experiment

A long-forgotten Prohibition-era comedy


Given the ongoing drizzle, drizzle, drizzle outside, I am disinclined to leave the house - even to visit the nearest corner shop, less than 400 yards away. In any case, my sagging waistline really demands that I start making serious attempts to DIET.

So, I am going to try to watch tonight's England v Sweden game sober.

I have watched a few matches in these European Championships without a drink before, just two or three; but for almost every game I have imbibed at least the odd can of beer, or perhaps a caipirinha or two. And none of those games in which I abstained was one in which I was intensely emotionally invested... and none of them was at the later kick-off time. A game which England need to win, ideally by a decent margin, and starting at 7.45 on a Friday evening... well, this is going to be hard; but I CAN do it.



My football discussion thread grows and grows. And I've just written a long post over on Froogville about why I believe England have a chance this year - go and check that out as well.


No comments: