Friday, August 31, 2012

The blues make it all seem better

I've been having such an unbelievably shitty week (month, year, life) that I thought I'd unwind this afternoon with a good 'ol dose of the blues. Indeed, Worried Life Blues seemed irresistibly appropriate (although, as it happens, the song is chiefly about woman troubles, which is the one kind I currently don't have). This is Eric Clapton jamming with Buddy Guy at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in Soho, circa 1987. (Christ, I was still a student back then!) The mere mention of that venue makes me a little moist-eyed: it is one of the very few things I miss about living in London.

But here's an even better version (no video, unfortunately), performed by its original composer, the '40s blues piano master Big Maceo Merriweather.

And while we're in this mood, here's John Lee Hooker with Serve You Right To Suffer (which is, I think, the first blues album I ever bought).

No comments: