Sunday, December 31, 2006

Drinking alone again, at the Bar Humbug

As some of my readers may have divined over the past week or so, I do have a big slushy soft spot for 'the spirit of Christmas'. I love all the unmotivated goodwill that slops around at this time of year; pity we can't keep it going into January.

On the other hand, I am a terrible curmudgeonly sceptic with regard to celebrating New Year's Eve. Now, New Year's Eve has produced a few of the best parties I've ever been to - but they were very much the exception rather than the rule. They only seem to happen once every 4 or 5 years, and almost always at a friend's house (hmmmmm - I am well overdue for such an experience, I suppose). Going out - what's the point??

I don't like crowds. I don't like doing what everybody else is doing. I don't like noisy, fashionable bars (I like little, out-of-the-way places frequented only by a select band of 'regulars'). Did I mention I don't like crowds?? I hate the 'traditional' Friday night out on the town for just the same reasons. And what is New Year's Eve but the biggest 'Friday night' of the year?!

No thanks. I'll pass. 4 years out of every 5, I just stay home with a good book. Really.

Tonight was to have been different. Great plans there were to assemble all 'the usual suspects' for a nice meal and then a long night of revelry and music and drinking (and drinking and drinking).... but the shitty weather has rather put the skids under all that: this city tends to grind to a halt in the snow (60% of taxis retire from service in a spirit of self-preservation; and the rest are busy crashing into each other). Everyone seems to be coming up with alternate schemes that don't involve them travelling too far from home.

It looks like I shall be drowning my New Year blues in the company of my pal The Barman..... and whatever random strangers have braved the icy weather to check out his little oasis of good cheer tonight.....

Anyway - I wish a grouchy Happy New Year to all of you!!

No comments: