Sunday, May 27, 2007

Happy Birthday, 2K!!

A few pictures from last night's birthday celebration for super-cool music club, 2 Kolegas.


Cheap rou chuanr ('meat-sticks') available from the Muslim food stall in the garden outside; they did a roaring trade.

A much smaller crowd than last year, but the staff behind the tiny bar were still seriously over-stretched at times. Punters were mostly pretty mellow about the long waits.....

Laowai blues band Black Cat Bone were the headliners. Unfortunately, my camera battery gave out at this point.

A rather smaller and more low-key event than last year's epic all-nighter for the 1st Anniversary (I think they perhaps hadn't expected to survive that long, and so really pushed the boat out) - probably less than half the number of people or bands, but still a lively evening. The weather was just a little nippy (an abrupt change after a baking day), and had threatened rain (a brief and ultimately unrealised threat) in the early evening; that probably discouraged quite a few people from turning out. And most of the friends I had tried to corral into joining me were out of town or otherwise engaged. Nevertheless, I took along The Barman and my Love Guru, and ran into several other people I knew there.

Black Cat Bone got the joint jumping, as always. The support bands were pretty damn good too. The gorgeous Quebecoise accordionist I saw at Jianghu a while back sang with one of them. God, she can sing as well. I've always had a terrible weakness for singers. Jazz singing in French, is there anything sexier?? I think I'm 'in love' (AGAIN).

Things were winding down by 3am or so......

After two ridiculously late nights in succession, today is threatening to be a SLOW day......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're quite the photographer. but no pics of the gorgeous accordionist?

Froog said...

Camera battery ran out, like I said.

Probably just as well - photography often compares poorly to the images burned in the memory.