Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Queen lives....??

According to my buddy The Choirboy (although I have no idea what the source of his "information" may be), his favourite grotty Muslim restaurant, The Kebab Queen, is "not dead, only sleeping".

When it abruptly shut up shop last week, I had assumed the worst; but he claims that they are merely closed "for refurbishments", and will open again in a week or so.

I still have my doubts about this, and worry that he may just be the victim of wishful thinking.

The Kebab Queen is not the sort of place you can imagine being refurbishable - that level of squalor is impervious to the paintbrush and the plasterer's trowel. Moreover, whenever in the past I have seen a small restaurant like that attempt some such 'updating', the process has begun while customers are still in there dining.... and has been completed within two or three days. Two or three days after KQ's closure, there was still no sign of any activity in there. I can't think why they would have had to strip out all the furniture and equipment either.

No, I fear The Choirboy's hopes here may be cruelly dashed. But we shall see.

Watch this space for further updates.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh, if anything is closed longer than a day, it's not coming back. actually, if anything closes during it's normal business hours (even if it's been less than a day), it's not coming back.

there's actually been a city-wide crackdown on restaurants without licenses. Though, most of the sweep took place in February, I've seen some delayed closings through last month.

probably the Queen didn't have a license and those who wanted to see her gone just figured that out and reported her.

None of the businesses that I've seen closed since February, have re-opened, to my knowledge.

Froog said...

Oh, dear - not promising! That was my hunch also.

EARTHLING said...

It just sounds so wrong to have Queen and Kebab in the same sentence or even the same page. "It just ain't fittin" as Mamy from "Gone with the wind" would have put it.

Anonymous said...

earthling:

why?

even kebabs need queens.

i'll leave you a kebab gift over at the holiday villa.