Friday, October 12, 2007

Another great night in Jianghu

I always have a great time when my favourite jazz guitar duo, Dan and Nico, play - although I am in danger of having seen them too much: I was afraid I knew their repertoire inside and out now.

But last night, there were a few new things, a few surprises. Not least the extended line-up for the second set - joined by friends on accordion, viola, and a wonderfully twangy 5-stringed acoustic bass.

And La Famille Nico were in the audience too.

I had arranged specially to have today off work (well, OK, it was forced upon me by the travelling schedule of my MD, but...... I am claiming it was my plan), which gave me a little more freedom to kick back, drink more, stay out longer. But heck, the guys were starting a third set just before 2am. Part of me would have liked to stay up all night; but part of me also knew that I would be awake before 8am this morning, no matter when I turned in, and that I would suffer if I didn't get at least some sleep. So.... I slunk off after one or two more songs. And I'm feeling rough this morning.

And I have a lunch date a little later, so I must try to get myself energised again....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Fridays off. I'm ridiculously all smiles. As if it were Christmas. Oh wait, it is!

The British Cowboy said...

Well, it isn't a Friday off here, and I do have to work tomorrow (jury instructions, oh joy, oh bliss).

But... I think the odds of me being utterly bladdered by 1.00 am look pretty damn good right now.

Anonymous said...

Well, TBC, I feel for you. I only happen to be enjoying a very short break from my own jury instruction duties -- so naturally, I'm living it up :) could you or Froog expect otherwise from me??

But the break is almost over! I'll be back to the grind soon enough.

Froog said...

This must be an American thing! You instruct juries??!!

Anonymous said...

Froog, Glad you dont know what that is either - I was wondering.

"Jury instruction" doesn't sound right? Can Tulsa or The British Cowboy enlighten us?

The British Cowboy said...

Juries need to be instructed as to the law. Jury instructions are long, miserable things read by the judge before sending them to their little hole, where they will scratch themselves, discuss the football, and pull straws for who wins.

Generally they are pretty standard - burdens of proof, what needs to be established, etc etc.

However, as always, the devil is in the details. Each side wishes to put its own spin on the general instructions, to emphasize the areas of proof required on which the other side is weakest.

Both sides submit proposed instructions, then negotiate for a joint set, with the judge determining if they cannot agree.

Yes, it is different to other countries. But it works here. So that is what I have to do this week, along with the voir dire questions we wish to have asked. And that is another kettle of fish altogether.

Froog said...

In Canada, as I recall, the judge submits a draft of his instructions to counsel and invites their comments; but they can't make detailed representations to him in advance. In the UK, it is entirely a matter for the judge.

Cowboy, do you recall the classic Peter Cook sketch I quoted from on here last year?