Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Bullingdon Arms

Ah, The Bullingdon - or The Bully, as it was generally known. I confess I was just a little intimidated by it when I first encountered the place as a student. It wasn't at all one of the rougher or more hostile pubs in East Oxford; but all the pubs in East Oxford had the reputation of being at least a little bit rough, and decidedly student-averse. And The Bully was - at the time - flamboyantly, aggressively Irish as well, which added an extra air of potential trouble to it. (I haven't now been back there for some years, but I'm sure I heard some time ago that it had undergone a radical personality swap with another pub in that neighbourhood, and had transformed itself into a West Indian pub. Must go back and check that out some time.)

It wasn't long, though, before I began to spend more and more time out east in the Cowley-Iffley triangle, and it came to be one of my favourite parts of the city - in large part precisely because students were comparatively thin on the ground there. And so I began to become familiar with, and even comfortable in some of these rather unwelcoming bars that I'd once been so nervous of entering, they became my favourite refuges.

I think I really started warming up to The Bully in my 3rd year (of 5, arguably 6....) - which was a kind of delayed 'gap year' (hey, I called it 'sabbatical', they called it 'rustication'). I was living in East Oxford, not far away; and for several months I had a job at the despatching warehouse of the publishers, Basil Blackwell's, which was just around the corner. So.... it had become my local patch; and I was a regular working guy now, not a bloody student any more. I felt safe enough going in there; I felt entitled. Friday lunchtime drinks in The Bully with colleagues on the monthly payday became quite a regular little indulgence for a while (well, either there or the next-along Ampney Cottage - but let's not confuse things).

Having established that necessary initial degree of recognition and acceptance there, it soon became a regular highlight of my traditional St Patrick's day pub crawl (usually in the company of The Bookseller, of course; and I think at least once, a few years later, in the company of The British Cowboy). The landlord, I remember, used to celebrate his national identity on that day by wearing a green blazer and an orange bow-tie. Ah, St Pat's in The Bully - there was usually a free pot of Irish stew on the bar, a decent fiddle band playing in the corner.... and one of the best pints of Guinness you could find in Oxford (all the better for being heavily discounted on that night).

Two particular memories stand out from my trips to The Bully (probably not that many trips in all, truth be told).

St Patrick's Night - 1987, I think it must have been. I'm on the traditional pub crawl with my mate Richard (yes, the one who originally lured me to China all those years ago), who happens to be living in the vicinity himself that year. We arrive at The Bully mid-evening, just as the band is about to get going. And the place is PACKED, fuller than I've ever seen it. There is scarcely a square foot of free floorspace. But Richard decides...... he wants to play darts. We had both liked the game from childhood, and had recently got into a habit of having a few games together whenever we were out having a drink. But neither of us was really very good, to be honest. The idea of playing in front of any onlookers at all usually unsettled me deeply. The idea of playing in front of hundreds, many of whom we had had to ask to make space in front of the board (many of whom were, indeed, still so close to the board that they were in acute danger of being maimed by any wild throws or unlucky rebounds) elicited something very close to FEAR.

But, somehow or other, this extreme stress focused our minds wonderfully. We were quite happy to quit after a single game, to let the crowd expand back into the corner by the dartboard, because we both realised that we would probably never play as well again in our entire lives. We had, by some amazing quirk of fate, managed to look competent in front of this teeming and potentially hostile crowd. No, more than that, we had managed to look good; we had managed to look almost like professionals. I think we both hit at list one treble-20 with each visit to the oche, scoring consistently around 100; and then Richard, as soon as he got on a double, nailed it with his first or second dart. I think it might well have been a 15-dart finish, or maybe even a little better. And I was hot on his heels the whole way, having started second. I don't think either of us had ever come close to doing that before - or would ever do so again. One brief, shining moment.

The other great attraction of The Bully was its tiny snug around the back. The walls were festooned with Gaelic football jerseys. There were two (or was it three?) pumps for Guinness behind the bar, and nothing else. And there was a fantastic jukebox, full of old '50s and '60s classics. I don't recall quite how this came about (though, obviously, the consumption of large amounts of alcohol will have played a part), but on one occasion I think Richard and The Bookseller and I were crammed in there with two or three random strangers when one of us had the idea of putting on Chain Gang, the classic song by R&B great Sam Cooke (it was probably me; I was going through a big Sam Cooke phase at the time). And we all joined in. The song is well suited to such impromptu group performances, since it includes so many discrete elements: we left someone who could actually more-or-less sing to try to carry Sam's falsetto part; there was a big guy in the corner who lent his throaty bass to introducing the chorus with a lampshade-rattlingly-deep "Well, don't you know...."; while the rest of us joined in on "... that's the sound of the men working on the chain ga-a-ang"; we also provided the rhythmic background grunting of the convict labourers ("oooh - hah; oooh - hah") and mimicked the clang of their pickaxes with pens or cutlery rapped against the side of empty pint sleeves.

We had so much fun, we did it again. And possibly even a third time.

Simple pleasures.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an absolutely beautiful reminder to all of us that you are first and foremost a story-teller -- Froog, the Writer. Second, you are quite obviously the guy’s guy – dart throwing, in a crowd, when you know you’re bad, possibly even awful, at it (I cringed as I read on, afraid of what misdirected dart disaster might await me) – mimicking the clang of their pickaxes with pens or cutlery rapped against the side of empty pint sleeves (I can hear it/see it now, sitting continents/decades away from your inspiration).

You may have a hard time holding the attention of those students in the dream, but trust me, they’ll be back. Eric’s season will pass. I can’t imagine anyone staying away from this, from Froog, for too long.

The British Cowboy said...

Ah yes, the Bully.

I never took the same shine to it that you did, Froog. It was never the landlord that annoyed me, or even the Irishness of the place, given that it was, by and large, genuine.

My problem was with the "crustiness" of a group of the regulars. And there were so many other pubs in the vicinity I prefered, though I confess to being more of an Iffley Road boozer.

And yes, you are woefully bad at darts. Much was the pity I could not persuade you more often to put down your cue, and pick up some arrows, as I would have won more bar games against you had that been the case.

I think we need a froog post on how you ever avoided the evils of tobacco. It seems so right that you would smoke, and yet you never (in my experience) have.

Froog said...

Smoke? Well, not regular tobacco anyway.

Did you never join me for a Paddy's Day pint in the Bully? I thought you had one year.

What pubs were you thinking of particularly down the Iffley Rd? I'm getting a bit sketchy on the names now. The Bookseller and I had a thing for The Cricketers for a while (didn't it used to have a bar-billiards table for a while?). Ah, and The Greenjacket.

Crikey - I may find myself doing requests for favourite pub write-ups soon.

The British Cowboy said...

I think I did do a Bully Paddy's Day with you.

And of course I meant tobacco. Given your lifestyle (running aside), I would heartily expect you to be on at least a pack a day. Probably Embassy, though I could see you as a B&H or Rothmans man.

My boozing in East Oxford used to be mainly the Cricks or the Fir Tree, before the landlord went cooky. Also the Half Moon, Port Mahon, Hobgoblin (ex-Cape of No Hope), or Oxford Blue (because of the pinny).

Something I fundamentally miss living in the Great Satan is those great old residential streets, with a pub every 200 yards or so, nestled in between houses.

Froog said...

Oh yes, a pub every 200 yards, or every 100. Jericho was fantastic for that as well.

The British Cowboy said...

Do you remember the pub with no name in Jericho? No visible name, no pub sign, nothing but the brewery name to indicate it was a boozer at all.

Froog said...

Hmm, didn't U2 write a song about that? No, perhaps not.

When I first sauntered through Jericho there were 3 or 4 cornerhouses which had nearly divested themselves of all outward trappings of pubbiness, so that you couldn't really tell without looking in through the front door whether they were still doing business or not. I think they all did revert to being private residences quite soon. Was there one still enduring in that twilight state into the '90s? I can't think quite where it would have been.

The British Cowboy said...

I think it only existed when I was very very drunk. Of course, it is possible I just wandered into someone's living room and ordered a pint, but that said, it was their fault for having a juke box, formica tables, and a darts board.

Remember to ask ISM some day about his woeful darts play, losing to a one legged octagenarian Chelsea Pentioner in the Pennyfarthing one morning.

Froog said...

I imagine playing darts when you have only one leg would be pretty darned difficult. Guy probably had to hop to maintain his balance after releasing the arrow...

I generally take the view that anyone over 70 who's still mobile is likely to be a threat at pub games because, well, they've had so much time to hone their skills.

Froog said...

I checked with ISM about his being whooped by a one-legged Chelsea Pensioner, and he denied it completely.

Well, he would, wouldn't he?