Friday, November 02, 2007

A parable

Last night, while waiting for my (almost invariably late) friend F - 'The Choirboy' - to show up for a Post-Work Gargle, I got into an exchange of text messages with my Commenter-in-Chief, Tulsa.

She revealed that, when a child, she had had a pet goat, which was her delight and affectionately followed her everywhere. And it shared F's name. My friend F is lovely, but not quite as sweetly devoted as that.

I became concerned that Tulsa did not offer any conclusion to her story. I didn't like to think of her darling pet ending its life prematurely, winding up as yangrou chuanr (mutton-on-a-stick - the ubiquitous snack food here). I quizzed her on this a number of times, but she coyly avoided giving me a straight answer.

Finally, to quell my mounting anxiety, she responded:
"Long, happy life. Many wives. Lots of little F-lets scampering around the southern hills."

Ah, that's all right, then. We should hope for the same for my F. Well - maybe not the many wives bit, but everything else.

8 comments:

Froog said...

Of course, I am reminded (though too late to include it in the post!) of Zsa Zsa Gabor's celebrated line, on being asked how many husbands she'd had: "You mean, including my own?"

Anonymous said...

"You mean, including my own?"


Lots of laughter at this end.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got my drift, albeit belatedly, regarding the 'wives'... I was certainly thinking more Zsa Zsa less Joseph Smith and Salt Lake City.

Anonymous said...

And we all really did love F. No other goat could ever replace him.

I'll have to find a picture and post, so you know exactly what runs through my mind every time I see the Choirboy ;).

Froog said...

Oh yes, I look forward to that.

Mind you, I think he might be rather too flattered at being likened to a 'goat' in the libidinous sense.

Leigh Russell said...

Hello Beijing. Don't fall off your bar stool. And what is this goat snack? ?? Oh well, I'm sure it beats MacDonalds.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh! Interesting blog. Just took a quick lookie, but will probably return.

and it totally beats McDonalds.

So are you a long lost Froog friend or a random passer by?

Froog said...

Oh, he's another one of Moonrat's groupies.

I think he might be a BookBook contributor as well.

Not that that was meant to sound at all dismissive, Leigh. Moonrat's groupies are a select and distinguished band. Glad to have you drop by.