Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Great 'Early Christmas' Bash

Christmas comes early in Beijing - at least for the expat community here, because nearly everyone with any money goes home a week or two before the big day itself. Therefore the run of works parties - and party parties - tends to kick off even earlier than it does back home. Basically, it's pretty much all over by the beginning of the second week of December

The best Christmas Party of the lot, of course, is that hosted by my lovely friends Dishy Debs and Sexy Sarah - already a Beijing 'tradition', in only its second year! This year, as the event gets ever grander in scope, they got additional hosting help from their extended "coven" - Helen and Gillian. And indeed from me: I seem to have become an honorary covenista too, the only male member of the entourage (although I am, of course, deeply in touch with my feminine side, which may be why they tolerate me...).


Loyal readers (whose memories are not alcohol-impaired) may recall that last year I was cajoled into
playing Santa for them. This year I managed to wriggle out of that (although I remained fearful that I would still be regarded as the 'first reserve' and pressed into service again if the new designated Santa should encounter any last-minute mishap). This time, our American friend Lamarr played the role. I think he has more the personality and the physical presence for it than me. (He's about my height, but much broader, and..... well, certainly not overweight, but substantial in girth. I really feel I'm still a bit too young and skinny to be Father Christmas.) Lamarr did a splendid job, and I think we'll have him back every year from now on, if he's willing.

Additional support was provided by a small, beardy young friend of Sarah's called Julian, who gamely agreed to wear an elf costume and help Santa with the gift re-distribution (quite a major undertaking when you have 100-odd people there). He also provided some cracking party tunes (yes, we had Slade; we are English people of a 'certain age' - how could we not have Slade??!!) - I now like to think of him as DJ Inappropriate. (A private joke. Sarah likes to tease him that his conversation is sometimes a little too, how shall we say, sexually frank, and has nicknamed him "Inappropriate" Julian.)

As last year, we took over Salud, a cool little French-run bar on Nanluoguxiang, for the evening (on Friday 7th). The girls spent the whole of Thursday afternoon festooning the place with Christmas decorations (and, as you can see in one of the photos below, they also gave Debbie's delivery trike a Christmassy makeover so that it could serve as Santa's sleigh). Debs had been busy in the kitchen too, making huge numbers of mince pies "with Chinese characteristics" (i.e., in the shape of jiaozi, the local dumplings) and the most alcoholic Christmas cake I have ever tasted (really - quite mind-blowing: I don't understand the science of this, but it was like brandy given solid form.... I got wrecked on about half a slice of the stuff!).

We attracted something over a hundred people in all (which, to be frank, is rather more than Salud can handle - I had to slip out once or twice to get a drink in a less populous bar nearby), and a collection for a local charity that runs a hostel for mentally handicapped children raised some 3,500 yuan. A great success, then. But heavens - much as we love Salud, we may have to look for a bigger venue next year.

The other innovation at this year's Version 2.0 of the party was that all the lady hosts had done themselves up in what they chastely described as "Mrs Claus" outfits - to my mind, it was rather more Candy Claus, the slutty teenage daughter (but I'm certainly not complaining!!). See below.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures. If you couldn't make it this year, I hope we might see you at the next one.

Eagerly awaiting Santa's arrival, round about 10pm.

And here he is.....

.... greeted by his sexy 'helpers'. (And where is our "inappropriate" elf looking??)

Now that that's over and done with, we can all get back inside in the warm, and the serious drinking & flirting can resume.


The beard may be fake, but the jollity is real - this guy was born to play Santa Claus!

Ah, now I remember, there are certain advantages to playing Santa....

So, that's all over for another year. Thanks again to Lamarr and Julian for being such good sports, to Nicolas and everyone at Salud for laying on additional nibbles for us, to all our lovely guests - and, of course, to the sexy Santa-girls who set the whole thing up.

5 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'm glad the ladies weren't wearing false whiskers. I don't approve of that.

Anonymous said...

wow! y'all decided to post pics of that night on here! But you didn't post any pics of yourself... as my sister always says to me, try passing your camera to someone and asking them to picture *you* for once... I see the back of my head in one... just as well, I'm not ready for pics of me to be posted anywhere!! would take away the whole "anonymous" Tulsa thing.

it was a lovely party... my regards to all the hosts.

and as an aside, the gentleman behind the Salud counter who oh so patiently humoured my non-alcoholic drink requests gets all my best wishes, since he is so kind.

Froog said...

The guy with the beard? Don't flatter him too much - I think he has quite a big fan club!

I don't think your 'anonymity' is compromised in a crowd shot. I can't even be bothered to go back and look at all the backs of heads, checking for yours.

Froog said...

And, as you know, there are pictures of me on here too (and on Froogville, a long time ago). But I don't like to label them as such. The anonymity thing, you know.

I'm not sure that any pics were taken of me that night. I'm still waiting for some from DD. If there were, I'd be shy of posting them - I am not photographing well at the moment.

Although, in fact (scoff, if you must, but it's true) I am something of an anti-narcissist: I have no interest in preserving my image for posterity. The Chinese penchant for having themselves photographed everywhere with exotic strangers or in front of famous sites, and always with the identical cheesy grin and bunny fingers in the air pose, is quite baffling to me.

Also, for me, photography is about capturing my perspective on the world - so I'd just about never try to take my own picture, unless it was in a mirror. And I'm a terrible camera queen, very protective of the equipment: I don't like anyone else even touching my camera, let alone taking photographs with it!

Anonymous said...

yes, the man with the beard. and i guess he deserves the fan club. :)

yes, anonymity, well, posting a pic Labelled the The Great Froog would limit that a bit.

I joined facebook ages ago to go along with some friends who really use it... i don't... and yesterday a high schoolmate asked to be-friend me on facebook. I had to think for ages where I knew her from... and now I can't remember if she was nice in H.S. and if I'd want to befriend her. all her friends are listed as still in Hometown (most of the ppl I grew up with didn't leave... or left and came back.) This is the prob with posting yourself online, pic and all, for all the world to track you down.