Sunday, December 23, 2007

That love affair, again

I promised a week or so ago that I would shut up about my Great Lost Love. I was, of course, lying. It's pretty much impossible to keep her from my mind at this very resonant time of the year. One last poetic offering on the theme, then.....

And I must give a nod here to my Canadian friend, Trish, who inspired this effort with a poem of her own that she shared with me. I hope she won't object to my stealing the the central image from her (after all, that image is not in itself so remarkable, probably far from unique - I think I was also partly inspired by E.E. Cummings, for example); and I think my piece ended up being quite different from (and probably inferior to) hers; but it is certainly a variation or riff on it.



Yesterday's News

A tumbleweed of newspaper
Hurries down the street,
A blur of unrecognisable photographs
And obsolete headlines....
And the whole story of our love
But a single paragraph
On an inside page....

1 comment:

Froog said...

The Cummings piece I had in mind I haven't been able to find online, and it's impossible to reproduce on Blogspot since it's a concrete piece that relies mainly on the typographical layout.... and bloody Blogger won't let you add spacings to stagger the lines.

The piece I mean is in fact, I think, just a single sentence:
in sunlight
over and overing
a onceuponatime newspaper


But you probably guessed that, right?