Sunday, December 09, 2007

Modern Life

Last night I'd been to a concert and dinner with a gaggle of girly mates ("The Coven"). They were going on to a leaving party at the apartment of a rather gorgeous American girl. (Why do I only meet these people when they're about to leave?! Oh, the torments of expat life!) I was going to tag along, but had promised to look in at a nearby bar first to hear my guitar buddies, Dan & Nico, playing some '50s rock'n'roll (I've been one of their prime groupies for a couple of years now, but I've never heard them play electric before).

My plan had been to catch a few songs, maybe one set, and then trot along to the party (which was, as I gathered, only just around the corner). Timing was good - the band were starting up just as I arrived at 10.45. While I was enjoying their show, I fired off a few text messages to Coven members, asking how the party was going, begging address details or directions. No reply. At 11.30pm the first set came to a close, and I began making calls to seek guidance to the party. No reply from any of them.

A-ha....... we'd been to a performance of Handel's Messiah earlier. We'd all dutifully put our phones on 'mute'. And then forgotten to un-mute them (me too!).

Such are the hazards of modern life.

No comments: