Thursday, December 13, 2007

Old Speckled Hen

One gets used to the nearly flavourless, fizzy, lager-y crap that passes for beer in China. One even starts to like it. But occasionally, a stray memory from the past crops up.... to revive the yearning for decent beer.

Imported beers are still relatively rarely found here (at least, they are in the bog-standard local bars I tend to favour); and when they are, they're prohibitively expensive.

But they have for some time been carrying this old favourite of mine at one of my occasional hang-outs down on Nanluoguxiang, the trendy bar strip that's sprung up in my own backyard over the past couple of years. I fell in love with the Hen during my student days in Oxford (Morland's was a local brewery, based in nearby Abingdon - although I understand it has recently been bought out by Greene King and been moved to Bury St. Edmonds)..... but it's probably a good 10 or 15 years since I last tasted it. Last night I decided to treat myself and The Choirboy to a bottle each, to 'celebrate' my abrupt dismissal from my job.

I had been a little concerned that it might not have travelled, might not have been kept well, might be very old stock...... and would probably cost me an arm and a leg. But I was delighted to discover that it was in fine condition, and a relatively affordable 40 kuai for a half-litre bottle.

And it tasted divine.

That could easily become a habit. After I get myself a new job, perhaps......

2 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

I assume you mean the Choirboy, as I neither live in Beijing nor drink Old Speckled Hen.

Froog said...

Yes, quite right. I've been thinking recently that there was a danger of confusing the two similar nicknames, and..... lo and behold!

I shall correct immediately.

Nice to have you back. How did the trial go? Did your jury do as they were instructed? And what about the weekend of debauch afterwards?