Monday, February 18, 2008

Martini time again

Last night saw the first Yacht Club session in a while - Sunday evening Martinis, very civilised!

The Monday morning that follows is inevitably rather a slow one; I found myself moved to root out this little piece by Ogden Nash in praise of this most excellent drink. You can't help wondering what he was putting in his Martinis to make 'em yellow! Actually, you know, I think the real 'secret' is the olives: I prefer my Martinis (like my women??) a little dirty.




A Drink With Something In It

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.

There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin;
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth -
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

No comments: