Sunday, July 13, 2008

A narrow escape

I was invited to "brunch" again today.

I remain unconvinced about the concept - why do you need a meal that is neither breakfast nor lunch?? However, I am always glad of an excuse to meet up with friends, and to eat - and perhaps drink - heartily.

Timing is the issue for me. 'Brunch', as I see it, should be more lunch than breakfast, and only a little - if at all - earlier than a regular 'lunch'..... which, on a weekend, particularly on a Sunday, wouldn't be until the early afternoon, right? If we're pushing the breakfasty aspect, we might bring it forward to around noon, but surely no earlier than that?

"What time?" I queried of my inviter.

"10.30," he said.

Whaaaaa??????

Now, I am always an early riser, however late I may have stayed out the night before. But I do tend to stay out very late on a Saturday. And I like to be able to recover by having an unhurried potter about for a few hours in the morning...... sometimes, indeed, for the whole day. It is, after all, the one day of the week when this is always possible.

Also, you know that once you've left the house and met up with people...... well, it's all downhill from there: the chances of getting anything done with the day are over. A 10.30am 'brunch' date (requiring a 9.30am departure and an 8.30am rise-and-shine) is just too darned early. Sorry.

I was going to do my damnedest to make it, though, in the interests of sociability, and all. Luckily my inviter had second thoughts about it too.

Maybe next week. Maybe a little later.

No comments: