Thursday, October 30, 2008

Déjà vu

Last night, I looked in at Salud, for the first time since my notorious birthday party last week.

As chance would have it, Zoe's 'Irish' band were playing again. Of course, Nico P and Nico T, my accomplices in arranging the birthday event, were there too. And there was a fair-sized crowd, including a number of friends (one or two who'd been there the previous Monday, one or two who hadn't).

All in all, it was uncannily as though I had suffered a kind of Rip Van Winkle episode after passing out unconscious in the loo on the night of my b'day (something that came dangerously close to happening). Except that, unlike in the celebrated case of Mr Van W, nothing had changed at all: when I recovered and re-emerged, I found that the party was still in full swing 200 hours later!

It was an unsettling thought - for a moment. But after that initial shimmer of cognitive dissonance, I rather enjoyed the chance to reprise the atmosphere of my party night: this time I was sober enough to enjoy it and remember it.

No comments: