Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Not entirely true

A friend was trying to entice me out drinking shortly after lunchtime yesterday.

I was sorely tempted to join him, but I had to work. And I was just a tad anxious for him too, concerned that this sudden impulse to daytime drunkenness might be a sign that his current unemployment is dragging his spirits down (lord knows, it was getting the better of me when I was in the same state a couple of weeks ago).

I responded:
"I don't think I've gone out drinking midday, mid-week since I was an undergraduate!"


That is, of course, something of an overstatement. But I think it's probably true to say that daytime drinking (other than, occasionally, at the weekends) hasn't been an habitual lifestyle choice for me since those far-off days.

I was relieved (though also, in a strange way, slightly disappointed - thwarted vicarious hedonism!) that my friend decided not to go out drinking until the evening, when he would have some companionship.

No comments: