Monday, December 15, 2008

The bargain drinker

I have discovered that Smuggler's, the least objectionable of the cheapo drinking dens around the corner from Tongli (really rather a decent little bar, in fact; although, alas, completely deserted much of the time), has some of the cheapest spirits in town. What's more, I think most of them are genuine; a little watered down, maybe - but not the poisonous fake stuff that most of the low-end places foist on you. Their J & B scotch whisky is particularly convincing, and a mere 15 kuai for a generous shot. Or 30 for a double.

Even better, they sell Yanjing beer. Only in a stubby bottle (and I tend not to enjoy stubby bottles; I imagine that beer - any beer - tastes worse when served in inadequate portions), but it still tastes pretty darn good - way better than the appalling Tsingtao!! What's more, they're currently offering this beer at 2-for-15 kuai. Pretty damned reasonable!

Thus, a mere 90 kuai will buy you approximately 1.5 hours of happiness - while you are, say, enjoying some football highlights on TV on a slow Monday evening.

Best of all, although I've only been in there a handful of times, they already remember me - and what is becoming my regular order! It does feel good to achieve that level of recognition in a bar.

2 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

I don't know about your hatin' on stubbies. I have a major soft spot for ponies of Rolling Rock (not a beer I usually can abide). The 7 oz bottle provide a wonderfully odd way to get drunk. Your brain is confused by the half sized portion, and cannot work out whether it is meant to be feeling buzzed after 10 of them, or if because they are small you can drink 200 of them.

Messing with one's own consciousness without needing illegal drugs is a pleasant distraction.

Froog said...

Yes, I know what you mean, Cowboy. That can be a plus if the beer is reasonably palatable. And especially so when it's daytime, outdoor drinking in hot weather. Unfortunately, we're mostly drinking indoors, at night, and fucking Tsingtao.....

I rather like those super-strength brews like Old Tom or Tennent's Super or (the late, lamented) Crucial Brew - because they sneak up behind you with a cosh if you try to drink them anywhere near as fast as a regular beer.