Saturday, December 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, Club 13

Club 13 (or 13 Club, if you wish) - Wudaokou's better music bar - is celebrating its 4th anniversary tonight. I don't think I shall be able to go, but I wish them well. (I'm surprised by the date: I really thought they launched in the late spring or early summer. Maybe I was just very slow to discover them.)

The place is in almost every way vastly superior to its near neighbour, D-22: better space, better sound, better crowd (still beset by worthless foreign students, of course; but with a much, much higher percentage of Chinese kids among its clientele), less up its own bum about "how important it is to the scene". Only the rather sketchy service and the limited roster of bands (heavy on the metal) let it down. I haven't been out there for a while now. I really should make the effort soon.

(Tonight, however, is the Tag Team Records Christmas Shindig at my favourite music bar, 2 Kolegas - and that, I'm afraid, is a superior attraction.)

No comments: