Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Possible Band Names enters its second glorious year!

Yes, I've only just noticed, but the notorious Possible Band Names game was originally posted on 12th January 2008. Long may it continue!

(Although I desperately need to find some new readers from somewhere to breathe new life into it!!)

The mysterious Gary continues to keep it going, just about single-handed. His offerings last month included such charming quirkinesses as Funkin' Donuts and The Lesser Smores (though I fear these might work better in the States than elsewhere around the world), as well as the (to my way of thinking) perversely convoluted Nocturnal Remission, and the more conventionally appealing Jungle Telegraph and Sundry Items. I feel sure that The Six-Pack Sonneteers must in fact exist somewhere out there in the C & W strongholds of Redneckland (oooh, that's a band name in itself - see how easy this is!). As December's winner, though, I have to pick Dead Cat Doormat (one fears that there's a nasty story behind that, but let's not enquire).

Gary's Foreign Band Name suggestion last month was a Chinese one, An Quan Tao - which apparently means Condom (I had to look it up). Fair enough.

And his Cover Band Name inspiration was The Boomtown Brats - "Peaches and other celebrity kids butcher their parents' hits".


New readers, old readers, please pitch in. Dear Gary can't keep doing this all by himself.

There might even be PRIZES.... one day.... maybe....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm partial to Dial 9 to Get Out, and String Theory

Unknown said...

"The Plastic Reindeer Laws."

Froog said...

Not 'Plastic Reindeer Rules'?

I realised that I'd perhaps been in North America too long (I think this was towards the end of my 16-month spell over there towards the back end of the 90s), and perhaps watching Beavis & Butthead too much, when - on a drive up from DC to NYC with a friend I saw a road sign that said 'Bus Lane Rules', and my immediate response was to say, "No! Bus lane sucks!"

And you're using the wrong thread, people. This is just a news update. 'Entries' should still be submitted via the link to the original post.

shiloh lane said...

we need a band name-what should we do if we choose one of these. will a quick "thanks" work, or what?

Froog said...

Oh no, not just a 'quick thanks', Shiloh.

You have to become HUGELY FAMOUS, and mention this blog prominently on all your album notes. Think you can handle that?