Friday, March 20, 2009

Pie of 5 yuan

As it says on the notice....

I had perhaps been suffering a bit of a reaction against the Nanluoguxiang 'pie shop'. I was getting concerned that its convenience might lead to it becoming a rather too regular recourse on the days (increasingly numerous of late) when I'm feeling too lethargic to cook for myself but can't round up any friends to share a restaurant meal with. I was also getting a little miffed at its unpredictable opening hours (they don't seem to make any attempt to stay open until a set time; they just make up their last batch of pies at some point in the early evening, and shut up shop as soon as they're all sold.... which is often well before I head out at 9pm or 10pm, and on occasion even before 8pm). I've also had a few disappointing experiences there recently (the 'heated' display cabinet doesn't keep them warm for very long, and they're a much less enticing prospect when they're cold; and the enigmatically-named 'cumin hotpot' variety, whilst very tasty, is made with lamb which often includes a lot of uneatably chewy bits).

So, for the past few weeks I've managed to resist the temptation to stop and buy one as my stomach rumbles on my way past the shop to Salud or 12 Square Metres further down the street.

But last night I was ravenous. And 'hunger makes the best sauce', they say.

It really was a good one, though. I'd swear they've started making them even bigger. And the 'pepper beef' one - always the most reliable choice - seemed tastier than ever, with an addition of generous shreds of carrot and bell pepper bringing welcome variety to both flavour and texture.

I was good. I restricted myself to one.

It's nice to have you back on form, 'pie shop'. Please keep it up.

No comments: