Monday, April 13, 2009

A guide to getting around (in Oxford)

After a little reflection, I have found that my recollection of the names of my favourite Oxford pubs is almost as sketchy as it is of those in London. Moreover, Oxford has suffered particularly badly from the plague of "modernisation" in the pub scene, and many of the dives that I most cherished in my student days have closed down, or suffered the most grotesque makeovers and renamings (and there are quite a few more that I thought were still going, but which I can't seem to find on this map.... worrying).


Nevertheless, this summary of the (major) pubs of Oxford (aping the famous London Underground diagram) is a handy aid to the memory, a spur to further weepy nostalgia about the great drinking days of yore.



If I were better with Photoshop (if I had a version of Photoshop that worked on this computer!), I might consider knocking up a Beijing version of this. I wonder if anyone else has already produced one??



[By the way, my gal pal DD has recently suggested trying to do a bar crawl based around the stops on Line 2 of Beijing's subway system. Now, I am always game to take on arbitrary challenges of this sort, but.... I fear the problem with this proposal is that there are no bars anywhere near any of the Line 2 stations (and there are 18 stations, which might be an unmanageable number). In fact, there's nothing at all near most of them; so, DD's optimistic alternative suggestion - that, instead of proper bars, we could find a cheap Chinese restaurant or a xiaomaibu to drink a Yanjing beer at in each of these locales - would prove unworkably time-consuming. It's an intriguing proposal, though. I may give it some further thought; perhaps conduct a little surreptitious reconnaissance over the next few weeks....]

No comments: