Sunday, May 10, 2009

Another literary quest!

The Weeble assures me that his/our new catchphrase, "My recollection of the matter is imperfect", is a quotation from the masterly comic novel At Swim-Two-Birds by the great Irish genius and drunkard, Flann O'Brien (the very first of my 'Unsuitable Role Models' series). He mocks me for not recognising it; but it is, alas, several years since I read the book.

The Weeble says that this useful sentence is but the introduction to a wise and funny discourse on the bad effects of heavy drinking.

Since, at present, all Google returns on the phrase are for this blog, I am left with scant recourse but to read the whole book again.


Well, The Weeble could probably recount the entire passage from memory for me - but where's the fun in that?

No comments: