Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tuesday Night Music Club

I discover that the boys at Jianghu have instituted a regular Tuesday night jam session for the city's jazz musicians.  I've been the last few Tuesdays, and it is a very fine and mellow evening - with an impressive mixture of local and foreign talent.
 
One of the drummers particularly impresses me, as much for her consuming enthusiasm for the art of drumming as for her actual playing (though she's not at all bad).  She listens with rapt attention to all the other players, and even takes down notes of some of their moves; her passion is inspiring.  She's one of the very few Chinese jazz drummers I've ever seen, and, I think, the only lady jazz drummer - of any nationality - I've ever seen. She's an unremarkable middle-aged woman who looks for all the world as if her day job might be bus conductor or market stallholder - but damn, she plays a mean set of skins. 
 
This is likely to become a frequent Tuesday night haunt for me, I suspect.
 

No comments: