Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hope springs eternal...

... in the entrpreneurial breast.

I just got a text message from a lady with the catering company that did last year's Thanksgiving Dinner at Sequoia.

If she thinks that anyone who went to that dismal affair is going to come back again this year, I fear she's going to be in for a very big disappointment.

That was, by far, the worst big occasion dinner I have ever suffered (and I still cringe with embarrassment at the recollection of it, since I had arranged the evening for a dozen or so of my American friends): an horrendous wait for our table (it's always dicey being on the second sitting, but we'd been particularly unlucky in that the party ahead of us had all arrived an hour or so late; and then weren't in any hurry to finish up, even when they knew we were waiting; in fact, they showed no inclination to leave, even well after they'd finished; and the bloody caterers were showing no willingness to try to politely hurry them along, so eventually I had to do it myself); undistinguished food (and cold, too!); tiny portions; chaotic organisation and nearly non-existent service; and did I mention the TINY PORTIONS?

I hope they've learnt from last year's experience, and will be putting on a better show this time (it is, I believe, quite a bit more expensive this year). But I won't be taking a chance on it.



This is a timely reminder, though, that I should start doing something about sorting out this year's T-day bash. Oh dear. Like I don't have enough else on my plate at the moment!

3 comments:

The Weeble said...

I actually didn't think the dinner was so bad -- cold, late, and small portions, yes, but the turkey was actually pretty well-done. Then again, my standards may have been lowered by the previous year's alleged dinner at Steak and Eggs, which really was vile.

Froog said...

You're a suprisingly forgiving man, Weeble. I don't get much beyond "cold, late, and small portions". I don't even start paying attention to the quality of the turkey until the third slice. There was no third slice!!

I did T-day at Steak and Eggs 4 or 5 years ago, and didn't think the food was too bad - but it just doesn't have a very cosy vibe. Having the boss whinge at great length on a previous visit about how much he hates cooking turkeys was a bit of a downer too. I'm intrigued to know, though, how they managed to f*** things up enough to earn a rating of 'vile'.

I was thinking we might try Grandma's Kitchen this year??

The Weeble said...

The Steak and Eggs dinner actually ranked as one of the worst meals I've ever had -- no exaggeration. I'd been there the year before and found the food more or less acceptable, but the dinner two years ago was sub-soup kitchen. The mashed potatoes were cold and suspiciously runny; the gravy had apparently been made of rendered lard plus a dash of sand and/or pepper; the turkey (if turkey indeed it was) had the mouthfeel and general flavor of multi-ply cardboard. The cranberry sauce was like grape jelly that had been left out in the sun. The vegetables were crying.

They hadn't managed to fuck up the pumpkin pie, which was the only thing I actually ate more than a few bites of. Never, ever again.