Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Return to the Tuesday Mellow Zone

The Tuesday night jazz jams at Jianghu seemed to have run out of steam a year or so back, with a lot of the original regulars moving on. For quite a while, they seemed to have been discontinued altogether. But I learn that they've been revived for the past 8 or 10 months, and are now doing very well again. My friend Dan Brustman has put together a little 'house band' to get the session warmed up with one or two more formal opening sets, and then anyone else can take a turn to come and sit in for a song or three.

There was some really excellent stuff last night, including some good singers; one, a foreign girl, sang gorgeous versions of Stand By Me and Fly Me To The Moon. (I was a bit smitten, but I fear she's just a tourist.)


What have I been doing with my Tuesdays lately?? Nothing very worthwhile, I fear. I know what I'm going to be doing with most of them from now on.


[By the by, my pal Ruby was teasing me the other week that I am excessively curmudgeonly in my comments on the music scene, and challenged me to write a positive review of something within the next month. I wasn't expecting to be able to take up the gauntlet, because I'm not planning to go out that much - if at all - over the next four weeks (WORK coming out of every orifice!), but.... hey, this is the second one I've managed in two days. I'm not relentlessly negative; I just recognise SUCKAGE when I see it! Whereas dear Rubes is prone to excesses of enthusiasm, particularly when large quantities of cheap white wine are on hand....]

1 comment:

Ruby said...

Yay! I knew you could do it if teased a little ;)

Haven't been to a Tuesday Jazz jam @ Jianghu in too long, might have to start popping in on the off weeks when there's no Bluegrass jam @ Great Leap.