Thursday, February 16, 2012

Froog Solutions (23)



Head down to the bar for a tequila slammer (or two, or... and maybe a Long Island Iced Tea as well...).




I first developed a weakness for these in the mid-90s, when I found myself going to a rash of weddings for old university buddies, usually in the company of my Scots drinking buddy The Bookseller (recently reinvented as The Bookbinder), the only other diehard bachelor of our set. Finding the strained jollity and the increasingly ubiquitous happy-coupledom at these events rather oppressive to the soul, we got into a habit of hitting up the pub nearest to the church and downing one or two slammers immediately before the start of the ceremony - to dull the painful sensation of life passing us by.

I now have a deeply ingrained fondness for the ritual - on rare and special occasions. When you really need want to get a buzz on, there's nothing else quite like it.

No comments: