Sunday, October 07, 2007

Missing a gig (or three)

The week just past might well have been even busier.

I discovered - just too late! - that my beloved SUBS were making an unheralded appearance at the endearingly shambolic 2K on Friday. (Ah well, I suppose I can wait until their gig this Friday.)

My friend Gorgeous G was trying to entice me to join her at the Forbidden City Concert Hall tonight (the nicest in this city, I think - though not actually in the Forbidden City, but in a park next door) to hear a performance by the legendary jazz pianist Chick Corea. I'm afraid I just didn't have the energy today. (And I was slightly dubious about the idea of a solo concert; I'm not sure how at home solo jazz playing will sound in a classical concert hall; and I would have preferred to see him with a band. I'll have to make do with playing Bitches' Brew at home.)

And there was (yet another) open-air music festival in Beijing this week. It was a first-time event set up by a leading local indie label, Modern Sky Records, who have a number of decent Chinese bands signed to them. I thought I'd like to support it - on one day out of the three, at least. And the sole foreign import, scheduled to close the final day, Thursday, was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, of whom a number of people have recently told me good things. Alas, the weather was depressingly cool and grey for most of the week, and particularly grim on Thursday; and then in the afternoon it started to pour with rain. Not the conditions for an outdoor concert - regretfully I abandoned my plans to go to that. Instead, I spent an hour or so checking out the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on YouTube. And that got me to thinking that maybe I hadn't missed all that much. They seemed interesting, but not great. Not quite my cup of tea, anyway. A couple of the songs seemed quite catchy (Turn Into, Cheated Hearts), but I didn't much like the singer's voice.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone went? I wonder if the event was cancelled?

1 comment:

Froog said...

Oh, this is horribly catchy.... although I think I like the video better than the song.

Has anyone else watched it yet?