Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy Birthday, Worm!

Today - I had almost forgotten - is apparently the 4th Birthday Bash for

The Bookworm.

Gosh, is it really that long?  I suppose it must be, because Beijing's firework ban was officially lifted for Chinese New Year 2006, and I remember being in The Worm - with only the owner, Alex, and a few friends - on New Year's Eve, sheltering from the storm of ordnance outside, often unable to continue our conversation over the thunderous racket which seemed to last, without lull or intermission, from late afternoon until the wee small hours of the following morning.  (Subsequent years have been mild by comparison, believe me.)

The Worm also holds a special place in my personal history because it is where I met the love of my life (well, one of them).  And, indeed, the fateful, frivolous, eternally frustrating Madame X; and a fair number of other distractions & infatuations.

So, I wish everyone well at The Worm tonight.  And I'd like to join them for the party. But.... well, I don't think I know anyone who's going (many of my pals seem to have quit the city already, leaving early for October 1st holidays).  And it's Sanlitun on a Friday night - ugh!!!

No, I think I'll wait until the big celebration for next year's 5th Anniversary....


No comments: