Saturday, February 02, 2008

Great Drinking Songs (2)

The first having been Streams of Whiskey by 'The Pogues'. Yes, I am attempting to initiate another regular-ish strand (monthly?) here on the Barstool.

This was popularly thought of as my 'theme song' during my last year or two at college (and ever since!) - "What's The Use Of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)?". Originally a chart-topper during WWII for the great jazz band leader Louis Jourdan, I came to know it through Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive album, a fabulous tribute to the swing band era. Alas, I couldn't find a version by Joe [now available at last, but audio only (with a fan video); and the Louis Jourdan original can be heard here], but this one by the novelty band 'Big Cheese & The Jive Rats' is rather fun.

No comments: